How to make a robot birthday cake with gumdrops and M&M’s minis
- 1 (13 by 9-inch) cake
- 4 mini-chocolate frosted doughnuts
- 1 can (16 oz) plus 1 cup vanilla frosting
- Orange paste food coloring
- Black paste food coloring
- 3 orange gumdrops
- 2 green gumdrops
- 1 red gumdrop
- 2 graham crackers
- 3 tablespoons blue decorating sugar
- 1 stick red fruit stripe gum
- 14 brown M&M’s Minis
- 2 blue M&M’s Minis
- 2 yellow M&M’s Minis
- 2 green M&M’s Minis
- 2 orange M&M’s Minis
- 1 small green lollipop
What you’ll need:
- A serving platter
- A bread knife
- A resealable sandwich-size plastic bag (Ziploc)
Trimming the cake:
- Cut the top of the cake to make level.
- Place cake, trimmed side down, on a work surface and cut according to template below.
- Cut a small wedge from 2 of the doughnuts for the robot’s hands.
- Cut 1 of the graham crackers into 2 (2-inch) squares for the knee covers.
- Spread the top of the cut graham crackers and 1 whole graham cracker with a thin layer of vanilla frosting.
- Top the frosted graham crackers with the blue sugar to coat completely.
- Arrange the cake pieces on a serving platter as pictured in template below.
Frosting the cake:
- Spoon 1 cup of the plain vanilla frosting into a resealable bag
- Add enough black food coloring to 3/4 cup of the vanilla frosting to tint it gray.
- Tint the remaining vanilla frosting bright orange with the orange food coloring. Spread the cake body and legs with the orange frosting to cover top and sides; make smooth.
- Frost the cake head with the gray frosting and make smooth.
- Place the sugared graham crackers on top of the cake as pictured.
To complete the decoration:
- Snip a small corner from the bag with the vanilla frosting. Pipe a decorative edge around the graham crackers, the robot’s neck, and the base of the feet. Pipe lines for the control panel near the legs and hands.
- Add the small brown candies as the bolts using photo as guide.
- Attach the trimmed doughnuts as the hands and the whole doughnuts for the feet using some vanilla frosting to secure.
- Attach the remaining candies with dots of vanilla frosting as pictured.
- Insert the lollipop into the top of the robot head.