Sweet! How to make a soccer ball birthday cake with Oreo Crisps. Easy, step-by-step recipe, diagrams and pictures
- 1 13 by 9-inch cake
- 1 ½ cans (3 cups) vanilla frosting
- Green food coloring
- Yellow food coloring
- 1 Tbsp warm water
- 1 bag (12 oz) flaked coconut
- 1 cake baked in a ½-quart Pyrex glass bowl
- &frac cup dark-chocolate frosting
- 1 cup 100 Calorie Pack Oreo Crisps
What you'll need:
- A serving platter
- A glass measuring cup
- A bread knife
- A sheet pan
- A wire rack
- 1 resealable sandwich-size plastic bag (Ziploc)
For the grass base:
- Transfer the 13 by 9-inch cake to a serving platter.
- Set aside 1 cup of vanilla frosting in a glass measuring cup.
- Add green food coloring to the remaining vanilla frosting to tint it grass-green. Spread the green frosting over the cake to cover.
- In a separate bowl, add green food coloring a few drops of yellow food coloring, and 1 Tbsp warm water to the flaked coconut. Rub together until all of the coconut is tinted.
- Press the coconut onto the frosted cake to cover completely.
For the soccer ball:
- Using the bread knife, trim the top of the round bowl cake to make the top level. Place cake, cut side down, on a wire rack placed over a sheet pan.
- Heat the reserved 1 cup of vanilla frosting in a glass measuring cup in the microwave until pourable, about 15 to 25 seconds. Stir well.
- Pour the frosting over the round bowl cake to cover completely. Let frosting set for about 20 minutes.
To complete the decoration:
- Transfer the frosted bowl cake to the center of the grass-green cake.
- Press the Oreo Crisps onto the soccer-ball cake, about 1 ½ inches apart, to make the dark patches on the soccer ball.
- Spoon the chocolate frosting into a resealable plastic bag. Snip a very small corner from the bag. Pipe lines with the chocolate frosting to connect the cookies, as pictured.