How to make a Wii remote birthday cake with Mentos and Twizzlers
- 1 (13 by 9-inch) cake
- 1 can (16 oz) vanilla frosting
- Black food coloring
- 4 pieces white hard-shelled Orbit gum
- 7 white Mentos
- 3 brown, 2 blue and 1 red M&M’s Minis
- 1 marshmallow
- 1 blue licorice twist (Twizzler rainbow)
What you’ll need:
- A serving platter
- A bread knife
- A small knife
- 2 resealable sandwich-size plastic bags (Ziploc)
Trimming the cake:
- Trim the top of the cake to make level.
- Cut a 2-inch strip down one long edge of cake and discard.
- Round corners of cake with a small knife.
- Transfer cake, cut side down, on a serving platter.
Frosting the cake:
- Add a small amount of black food coloring to ¼ cup of the vanilla frosting to tint it gray.
- Spoon the gray frosting into a resealable bag.
- Tint 1 Tbsp of the vanilla frosting black with more food coloring.
- Spoon the black frosting into a resealable bag.
- Spread the remaining vanilla frosting on top and sides of cake and make smooth.
To complete the decoration:
- Snip a very small corner from the bag of gray frosting and the bag of black frosting.
- Pipe a thin line of the gray frosting about ½ inch in from outer edge of cake, as pictured.
- Press the M&M’s Minis, Mentos and Orbit gum into the top of the cake as pictured for the controller’s buttons.
- With the black frosting, pipe 6 rows of 3 black dots as pictured.
- Cut the blue licorice twist in half, leaving 2 inches at one end. Press the uncut end into the flat side of a marshmallow and press the licorice twist into the side base of cake.
- Press the cut ends of the licorice twist together to make the hand strap.