How to make fairy birthday cupcakes with vanilla wafers and fruit chews.
- 12 cupcakes baked in green paper liners
- 36 sticks Juicy Fruit yellow chewing gum (Juicy Fruit)
- 36 mini vanilla wafers
- 1 can (16 oz) vanilla frosting
- Blue food coloring
- Yellow food coloring
- 1/2 cup white coarse decorating sugar
- 24 pieces green fruit chews (Jolly Rancher)
- 1 tube (4.25 oz) black decorating icing
- 12 small pink heart candies
- 12 mini-marshmallows
What you’ll need:
- A resealable sandwich-size plastic bag (Ziploc)
- A serrated knife
Preparing the decorations:
- Cut 1/2-inch from each side of 24 of the vanilla wafers with a serrated knife to make the arms and legs.
- Cut 24 small wings from 12 pieces of the gum. Cut 24 larger wings from the remaining 24 pieces of gum.
- Microwave the green Jolly Rancher fruit chews for no more than 3 seconds to soften. Flatten each fruit chew and roll out on a clean work surface. Cut out the fairy dress shape following the template below.
Frosting the cupcakes:
- Add enough yellow food coloring to 1/4 cup of the vanilla frosting to tint it yellow. Spoon the yellow frosting into a resealable bag.
- Add enough blue food coloring to the remaining vanilla frosting to tint it a light blue.
- Spread each cupcake with light blue frosting and make smooth.
- Roll the edge of the frosted cupcake in the decorating sugar to coat. Repeat with the remaining cupcakes.
To complete the decoration:
- Arrange the green fruit chew dress on the lower half of a cupcake.
- Arrange 2 cut vanilla wafers as the legs under the dress.
- Place 2 large wings and 2 small wings on the top third of cupcake.
- Add a mini marshmallow to the top of the cupcake for the fairy’s head.
- Snip a small corner from the bag with the yellow frosting and pipe a dot of frosting on top of the marshmallow.
- Attach the whole vanilla wafer on top for the fairy’s head.
- Using the yellow frosting, pipe some hair and a bun with the yellow frosting as pictured.
- Pipe the eyes with the black decorating icing.
- Add the pink heart candy with a dot of frosting and attach as the mouth.
- Place the remaining cut wafers alongside the dress for the fairy’s arms.