Prep: 5 minutes
Bake: 30 minutes
Yield: 16 brownies
- Cooking spray
- 1 box (about 21 oz) brownie mix
- 1/2 cup wheat germ, unsweetened
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup Purple Puree (see recipe below)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 13 x 9-inch or 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
2. Measure and discard 1/2 cup of the dry packaged brownie mix (replace with 1/2 cup wheat germ). Mix all ingredients together until well blended. Follow package directions for baking time, depending on size of baking pan.
Per serving: 209 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated), 196 mg sodium, 27 mg cholesterol.
For Purple Puree:
Makes 2-1/2 cups
1. Put two 10-ounce packages frozen spinach in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer 6 to 7 minutes. Drain.
2. Puree spinach, 1-1/2 cups blueberries (puree if frozen), 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice and 2 tablespoons water in a food processor until smooth, 1 minute. If necessary, add 1 tablespoon water to make puree smoother.