MAKES: 24 cupcakes
PREP TIME: 20 Minutes
START TO FINISH: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup hot water
- 2/3 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups.
2. In medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder; set aside. In small bowl, mix hot water and cocoa until dissolved; set aside.
3. In large bowl, beat shortening with electric mixer on medium speed 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping bowl occasionally. Beat 2 minutes longer. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. On low speed, alternately add flour mixture, about 1/3 of mixture at a time, and cocoa mixture, about 1/2 at a time, beating just until blended.
4. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each about 2/3 full.
5. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pans; place on cooling racks to cool. Frost with desired frosting.
1 Cupcake: Calories 160; Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 2g; Trans Fat 1g); Cholesterol 20mg; Sodium 180mg; Total Carbohydrate 22g (Dietary Fiber 1g); Protein 2g Exchanges: 1/2 Starch, 1 Other Carbohydrate, 1 1/2 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 1 1/2
Place mini paper baking cup in each of 24 mini muffin cups. Make batter as directed in recipe. Fill each cup with until about 2/3 full. (Cover and refrigerate remaining batter until ready to bake; cool pan before reusing.) Bake 12 to 16 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pans; place on cooling racks to cool. Repeat with remaining batter to make an additional 48 mini cupcakes. Frost with desired frosting. About 72 mini cupcakes.