Makes 12 cakes
You will need:
¼ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/3 cup superfine (caster) sugar
1 extra-large egg
½ teaspoon vailla extract
¾ cup all-purpose flour, sifted twice
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup sour cream
4 tablespoons strong espresso, cooled
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-hole muffin pan with paper cases.
2. Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until very light and fluffy (about 5 minutes). Add the egg and vanilla extract, and beat until thoroughly incorporated.
3. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl.
4. Add the dry ingredients in three parts, alternating with the sour cream. Then slowly add the cooled coffee.
5. Using an ice-cream scoop, spoon the batter into the paper cases, filling them three-quarters full. Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
6. Cool in the muffin pan for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before decorating.
Extra-wide cupcake variation
Make up the batter as usual -- this will make 6 extra-wide cupcakes -- and use with extra-wide cupcake cases or individual pie tins, with a diameter fo about 3 1/2 inches
From Lily Vanilli's A Zombie Ate My Cupcake!
Buy the book for more creepy recipes