- 1 (9-inch) square cake
- 10 plain bread sticks
- 50 Tootsie Rolls
- 10 yellow spice drops
- 2 tablespoons table sugar
- 1 cup vanilla frosting
- 1-1/2 cups chocolate frosting
- 10 yellow mini M&M’s
- 1 tube (4.25 ounces) red decorating frosting
- A bread knife
- Rolling pin
- A serrated knife
- 1 freezer weight zip lock bag
Trimming the cakes:
- Place the cake on a clean work surface. Using the bread knife cut a 1-inch piece from opposite sides of cake. Place the trimmed cake on a serving platter.
Frosting the cake:
- Spread the top of the cake with the vanilla frosting and make smooth.
- Spoon the chocolate frosting into a zip lock bag.
- Snip a small corner from the bag with the chocolate frosting. Pipe vertical lines of chocolate frosting, close together on the sides of the cake.
To complete the cake:
- Unwrap the Tootsie Rolls and microwave 5 at a time for no more than 3 seconds to soften. Press the 5 together and roll out to a 10-inch strip.
- Starting at one end, wrap the Tootsie Roll strip tightly around a bread stick, over lapping the Tootsie Roll slightly. It will cover about two-thirds of the bread stick. Repeat with the remaining Tootsie Rolls and bread sticks.
- Use the serrated knife to cut the covered bread sticks to 6 inch lengths.
- Sprinkle a work surface with some of the table sugar. Roll out each spice drop in the sugar, adding more to prevent sticking, to a 3inch length. Using scissors cut into 1/2-inch by 3-inch strips. Repeat with the remaining spice drops.
- Wrap the spice drop strip 1 inch down from the round end of coated bread stick as the cigar band. Secure with a dot of chocolate frosting.
- Pipe “congratulations” close to one long edge of cake with the red decorating frosting.
- Add 8 of the cigars to the top of the cake, close together. Pipe a dot of chocolate frosting on the spice drop band and add the yellow mini M&M’s. Arrange the remaining 2 cigars next to the cake.