Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 lbs. chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 cup teriyaki sauce (or enough to cover the chicken during marinating stage)
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 6 cups baby romaine lettuce and arugula
- 4 large hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 6 slices bacon, cooked until crisp (Substitute turkey bacon if you want a leaner option)
- 1 cucumber, halved lengthwise and cut into ¼-inch slices
- 2 avocados, halved and pitted, cut into ¼-inch slices
- 2 tomatoes (about 1 lb.), chopped
- 1 cup (about 4 oz.) crumbled blue cheese
- Red wine vinaigrette
Preparation (Note: Steps 1 and 2 should be done in advance):
- Cover chicken with teriyaki sauce and marinate for at least an hour, or as long as overnight. Remove from marinade, heat oil in pan and sauté chicken until cooked through, about 7 to 8 minutes per side. Cut into diagonal slices, about two inches thick.
- Prepare hard-boiled eggs by covering eggs with about two inches of water in a saucepan, bringing to a boil and then turning off heat. Leave eggs in water for ten minutes, then drain and rinse with cool water. Chill in refrigerator, and slice into 1-inch rounds for the salad.
- Cover a large platter with the greens. Arrange the chicken, chopped eggs, avocado, bacon, cucumber, blue cheese and tomato on top, in distinct sections, so that everyone can hand pick their ingredients.
- Serve with red wine vinaigrette--on the side, in case your kid doesn't do dressing.