Prep time: About 10 Minutes
Cook time: About 6 Minutes per Fritter
Serves: 4 Servings
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup low-fat milk
1 Tbs maple syrup, plus about
1 cup, for pouring
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen
About 2 Tbs canola oil
Sift dry ingredients together; mix batter.
2. In a large bowl, sift flour, salt, and baking powder. Add the milk and 1 tablespoon maple syrup and whisk until smooth.
3. Beat in the egg and gently mix in the corn kernels.
4. In a large skillet, heat about 1 tablespoon oil over medium to moderately high heat. Drop 2 to 3 tablespoons of batter into the hot oil and cook for about 6 minutes, turning halfway through cooking, until golden brown and cooked through. Gently press the fritter down with the back of a spatula while cooking.
5. Continue frying the fritters in batches, adding the remaining oil as needed. Meanwhile, heat the syrup for pouring in the microwave or in a small saucepan over low heat until hot.
6. Drain the fritters on a paper towel and keep warm on a serving plate in the oven. Serve with the warm syrup. PER SERVING ( 1/4 recipe): 316 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated), 322 mg sodium, 54 mg cholesterol. A good source of folic acid, which may help prevent heart disease.