|Prep time: about 15 minutes |
Cook time: none
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 cups corn, fresh, frozen, or canned
- 1/2 sweet red pepper, cored and cut into small cubes
- 4 oz thinly sliced smoked ham, cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley, optional
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs fresh lemon (or lime) juice
- Tortilla chips
- Sour cream, optional
- If using fresh corn, shuck 4 to 6 ears. Using a sharp knife, slice down the cob to cut off the kernels. (If using frozen corn, saute about 3 minutes in 1 teaspoon olive oil in a small skillet. If using canned, drain.)
- Place corn kernels in a bowl. Toss with pepper, ham, parsley, salt, pepper, olive oil, and lemon juice.
- Surround the salad with the tortilla chips, and place a dollop of sour cream in the center, if desired.
|How kids can help: Toss all ingredients; place the tortilla chips around the salad.|
Per Serving ( 3/4 cup): 291 calories, 15 g fat (2.6 g saturated), 477 mg sodium, 16 mg cholesterol. Delivers about half of the daily value of vitamin C; also a good source of fiber.