- Unsalted butter, 1 tablespoon
- Yellow onion, 1/2, finely chopped
- Celery, 1 small rib, finely chopped
- Ground (minced) turkey, 1 lb (500 g)
- Fine fresh bread crumbs, 1 cup (2 oz/60 g)
- Egg, 1
- Fresh oregano, 2 tablespoons chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Orange juice, 2/3 cup (5 fl oz/150 ml)
- Fresh or frozen cranberries, 1 cup (4 oz/125 g)
- Sugar, 1/4 cup (2 oz/60 g)
1. Make the meatballs. Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C) and lightly oil a rimmed baking sheet. In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and celery and sauté until softened, 4–5 minutes. Spoon into a bowl and let cool, and set the frying pan aside. Add the turkey, bread crumbs, egg, oregano, and H teaspoon each salt and pepper to the cooled onion mixture, and mix gently but thoroughly with your hands. Shape the mixture into 12 meatballs and arrange on the prepared baking sheet.
2. Cook the meatballs and make the sauce. Bake the meatballs until opaque throughout, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the orange juice, cranberries, and sugar in the frying pan and place over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring often, until the juice comes to a boil and the cranberries begin to pop, 2–3 minutes. Divide the meatballs among dinner plates, spoon the sauce over them, and serve.
To make this a complete meal, serve the turkey meatballs and homemade cranberry sauce with creamy mashed potatoes and a green vegetable such as green beans or broccoli.
Recipe from Meals in Minutes Simple Suppers, copyright 2011, Weldon Owen Inc.