Serves 6 to 8
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 fresh red chili, seeded and finely sliced (optional)
- 1 level tsp each mild chili powder and ground cumin
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into 1-inch-thick strips
- 2 (14 oz) cans chopped tomatoes, or 3½ cups of my homemade tomato sauce plus 1 cup water
- 1 (14 oz) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2½ cups (roughly 8½ oz) cooked and shredded turkey
- 2 ripe avocados
- Zest and juice of a lime
- Sprigs of fresh cilantro, leaves picked
- Basmati rice (cooked per package directions), plain yogurt, and lime wedges
Heat oil in a stockpot over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, and fresh chili, if using, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until soft. Add the chili powder and cumin, red bell pepper, canned tomatoes, and half a can of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer over medium heat and stir in the beans and shredded turkey, simmering another 15 to 20 minutes, until thick.
Meanwhile, peel, destone, and mash the avocados with the lime zest and juice in a small bowl. Scatter cilantro leaves on top before serving.
Serve the turkey chili with the avocados, basmati rice, plain yogurt, and lime wedges (for squeezing over).