Makes: 24 cupcakes
Prep time: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
Start to finish: 2 Hours 20 Minutes
Frosting and decorations:
- Yellow food color
- 1 container vanilla creamy ready-to-spread frosting
- 48 large yellow, orange and/or red gumdrops (from 10-oz package)
- Black decorating icing (from 4.25-oz tube)
- Red decorating gel (from 0.68-oz tube)
1. Make, bake and cool Yellow Cupcakes as directed in recipe.
2. Stir 15 drops food color into frosting until bright yellow. Frost cupcakes.
3. Form sun rays.
4. Using small writing tip on black icing tube, pipe sunglasses onto each cupcake. Using red gel, pipe smiling mouth onto each cupcake.
1 Frosted Cupcake (Undecorated):
Calories 240; Total Fat 11g (Saturated Fat 6g; Trans Fat 1.5g); Cholesterol 45mg; Sodium 230mg; Total Carbohydrate 33g (Dietary Fiber 0g); Protein 2g Exchanges: 1 Starch, 1 Other Carbohydrate, 2 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 2
Sweet Success Tip
Roll and cut the sun rays ahead of time so kids can easily assemble the cupcakes. If you want brighter yellow frosting, try using gel food color instead of liquid.
Use a Cake Mix!
Substitute 1 box yellow cake mix for the Yellow Cupcakes. Make cake mix as directed on box for cupcakes. Frost and decorate cupcakes as directed in recipe.
To form sun rays:
1. Lightly sprinkle sugar on work surface and rolling pin. Roll 4 gumdrops at a time into flat ovals about ?-inch thick.
2. Cut thin sliver off top and bottom of each oval to make rectangles.
3. Cut each rectangle in half crosswise to make 2 squares; cut each square diagonally in half to make 2 triangles.
4. Arrange 8 gumdrop triangles around edge of each cupcake for sun rays.