1. Use clean fingers or tweezers wiped with alcohol to pull out the object.
2. Rinse the area with cool water for five minutes to get rid of dirt and reduce pain. Then wash gently with soap and water or an alcohol-free wipe.
3. Apply pressure with a clean cloth or bandage until any bleeding slows.
4. Dab on an antibiotic ointment and cover the area with a bandage or gauze.
5. Keep an eye out for signs of infection (soreness, swelling, redness) over the next week. If you spot any, see the doctor.