In addition to one less chore for you, there's another bonus when he learns to tie: The confidence he's building will come in handy as other milestones approach (think taking off the training wheels or attending a birthday party without you). If he becomes very frustrated, take a break and try again in a week or so.
Here's how to get started:
- Consider getting laces in two different colors (it may be easier to teach him by saying "the blue one" rather than "the right" or "the left").
- Have him cross the laces to create an "X."
- Slide one under the other and pull.
- Form loops or "bunny ears" with each lace.
- Cross the "ears" and tuck one under the other (tell him the bunny is crawling through a hole), then tighten.
- Tie alongside him if you're both right- or left-handed; if you're not, sit opposite each other so your motions will match his.