Best Clothes for Baby Girls
by Amy Hogan
Shop The Story
Let’s be honest: Dressing up baby girls is one of the best parts about being a parent. We spend so much time and energy cleaning up their messes and trying to get them to eat and sleep that when it comes to getting them dressed, we want it to be easy and enjoyable for everyone involved.
Best Clothes For Newborns:
- Best One-Piece: Little Me “Welcome” Kimono-Style Snap-Front Footie And Hat Set
- Best Two-Piece: Button-Front Top And Leggings Set
- Best Dress: Carter’s Baby Girls Gingham Dress
- Best Organic: Organic Rhino Ruffle Bodysuit
Best Clothes For Baby Girls 0-3 Months:
- Best One-Piece: Print Short Sleeve Body Suit
- Best Two-Piece: Printed Top And Bloomers Set
- Best Dress: Carter’s Seersucker Fish Sundress
- Best Organic: Nordstrom Baby Organic Cotton Hooded Cardigan
- Best Trendy: Honganda Sleeveless Bodysuit
Best Clothes For Baby Girls 3-6 Months
- Best One-Piece: Cloud Island Ruffle Footed Sleeper 2 Pack
- Best Two-Piece: Tunic Sweatshirt And Leggings Set
- Best Dress: Carter’s Cotton Eyelet Ruffle Dress
- Best Organic: Jack & Jill Bodysuit
- Best Trendy: Icon Denim Jacket
Best Clothes For Baby Girls 6-9 Months:
- Best One-Piece: Printed Bodysuit 2-Pack
- Best Two-Piece: Cloud Island Green Top And Bottom Set
- Best Dress: Carter’s Multicolor Stripe Cotton Dress
- Best Organic: Mini Boden Robot 5-Pack Organic Cotton Bodysuits
- Best Trendy: Peter Pan Collar Top
Best Clothes For Baby Girls 9-12 Months:
- Best One-Piece: Cloud Island Long Sleeve Bodysuits 4Pk
- Best Two-Piece: Bubble Short Set
- Best Dress: Myosotis510 Lace Princess Dress
There are a billion different clothing options for baby girls. Of course, newborns need onesies. A lot of onesies. They usually have snap-crotch closures, but some are kimono style, which means they have a side snap. Some even have magnetic closures, if you’re feeling futuristic or lazy about midnight diaper changes. And then there are the sleep-and-play outfits that transition perfectly from playtime to bedtime.
It’s important to note that there are just as many fabric options as styles, so you can decide if organic, all-natural textiles and dyes are the right choice for you and your family or if synthetic blends better suit your baby girl’s needs.
Today’s baby girl clothing has come a long way from just pastel pink and pale yellow. Rest assured that the rules have been thrown out the window and now your darling little girl has just as many clothing options featuring dinosaurs and robots as teddy bears and unicorns.
When building your baby girl’s wardrobe, there are five main categories to consider.
These are the onesies you’ll want to layer under other outfits. But it also includes the sleep and play outfits and all in one styles.
Coordinating pants and shirts take all the guesswork out of styling your baby girl.
They come in every style and color and most have matching diaper covers to make getting dressed up a breeze.
This type of clothing is made from all-natural textiles and materials and dyes
These are the pieces that reflect the latest fashions.
What to Look for When Buying Clothes for Baby Girls
When you’re buying clothes for a baby girl, you want to get the items that best suit your needs. Once-piece outfits with zippers are the easiest for diaper changes and quick wardrobe changes, but they are usually not allowed in NICUs, so if you’re getting a gift for someone with a preemie, you might want to stick with snaps and ties. Snap closures are the most common and easy to work with, except sometimes tired, bleary eyes will have trouble lining them all up properly on the first try. Buttons are still found on some boutique baby clothing, but they’re not your best bet for daily use, warns a dad who found himself fumbling, which made a fussy baby even more miserable.
Babies with super sensitive skin or who seem to have sensory issues might be irritated by the tags in the neckline of most clothing, which is why some places like Old Navy make most of their onesies and baby clothing tagless. While it never hurts to have one or two special occasion outfits for you baby girl, her comfort and mobility are key, so the majority of her wardrobe should be soft, comfortable clothing that she can easily wear while exploring the environment around her.
Each product we feature has been independently selected and reviewed by our editorial team. If you make a purchase using the links included, we may earn commission.