Shop The Story
There’s so much to love about being 5! Many kids this age are kindergarten bound. They’re making friends and coming into their own. Five is about becoming more independent. Kids can get dressed on their own, get their own snack, and maybe even fix their own lunch, tie their shoes and ride a bike on their own. They pick out their own clothes, which often leads to some super interesting outfit combos. Five-year-olds also have strong preferences about what they want to eat and watch on TV. And they aren’t afraid to tell you so!
25 Best Gifts For 5-Year-Olds
- Echo Dot Kids Edition
- Walkie Talkies
- Crazy Forts
- Perler Bead Bucket
- Razor Scooter
- Crayola Light-Up Tracing Pad In Pink
- Crayola Light-Up Tracing Pad In Blue
- Crayola Scrible Scrubbie
- Puro Sound Labs On-Ear Headphones
- VTech Kids Star Karaoke Machine
- Dr. Seuss's Beginner Book Collection
- CamelBak Eddy Kids Water Bottle
- Enchantmints Ballerina Musical Jewelry Box
- Bentgo Kids Children's Lunch Box
- Scoot Hand Operated Drone
- My Fairy Garden unicorn Paradise
- Melissa & Doug Puppy Pursuit Games
- Learning Resources Pretend & Play School Set
- Melissa & Doug Rainforest Floor Puzzle
- Kid Made Modern Art Kit- Smarts And Crafts Case
- RoyalBaby Bike
- Nutcase Helmet
- IPad Mini
- Reversible Magic Sequin Notebook
- Galt Toys Slime Lab
Along with their newfound self-sufficiency comes better communication skills. They’re storytelling (it can go on and on and on), dream recounting (this goes on for longer), and sharing their thoughts and opinions about, well, everything. Kindergarten-age kids start to develop a true personality that is a joy to witness. They like and want to participate in new endeavors, from sports to scouts.
Five is also about collections. Lots of collections of little things. And losing those things. And looking for those things. Five means better rule following, too. But 5 is also about testing limits, like how far can they ride their scooter down the street until Mom or Dad comes screaming after them.
Kiddos at 5 have big imaginations and capacities to learn. They are starting to read, and can write and count with increasing skill each day. It’s an exciting time between little- and big-kid world, and there are so many fun and fascinating toys that will make this age even more magical. Read on to see what kids who are 5 are begging to play with, from tech toys to classic ones, and why they make some of the best gifts for 5-year-olds.
Each product we feature has been independently selected and reviewed by our editorial team. If you make a purchase using the links included, we may earn commission.