Shop The Story
Nine going on 13. That’s what parenting your fourth-grade child may seem like. While 9-year-olds are still kids, they are seriously coming into their own. So yeah, get ready for the moodiness and occasional sassiness. The good thing about having a child this age? They are truly independent. In fact, by 9, kids can even start taking on some responsibilities around the house. Other than eating you out of house and home!
25 Best Gifts For 9-Year-Olds
- SMITCO Journal For Girls
- Choose Kind Journal: Do One Wonderful Thing Every Day (A Wonder Journal)
- Dork Diaries- 12 Books Collection Set
- 155 Harry Potter Facts: The Ultimate Trivia Book For Wizards And Witches
- XPRIT Hoverboard With Bluetooth Speaker
- Not Parent Approved Card Game
- Franklin Sports Over The Door Mini Basketball Hoop With Rebounder And Automatic Ball Return
- Hathaway Hat Trick 4-Ft Air Hockey Table
- Skee-Ball The Classic Arcade Game
- Mini Hornet Bike Accessory
- Minecraft Starter Collection For Xbox One
- Betheaces Hover Soccer Set
- Learning Resources Botley The Coding Robot Activity Set
- SensoryMoon Jellyfish Lamp
- Mookie Reflex Soccer Game
- Diggin Slimeball Dodgetag
- 3 Bees & Me Deluxe Magic Kit Set
- Made By Me Create Your Own Sand Art
- Mr. Sketch Scented Markers
- Crayola Crayon Melter
- Slime Kitchen Mega Slime Factory Kit
- Fujifilm Instax Mini 9
- Creativity For Kids Day At The Spa Deluxe Gift Set
- Scientific Explorer Crime Catcher Spy Science Kit
Being 9 can feel heavy. Kids may start to experience fears stemming from what they see on TV. Their friends are influencing how they think about the world around them, beyond just the classroom or sleepover. Bullying may be an issue. Modern-day big kidding isn’t easy! Especially since school is becoming more demanding. I mean, holy math homework (thank God for YouTube!).
Parenting an older child is far from a walk in the park, either — beyond just the math homework! By now, your child has probably begged you for their own phone. Daily. Because, “All of my friends have one!” And keeping tabs on their activities both on and offline can feel like a full-time job. But along with bigger worries comes the opportunity to connect with your more mature kiddo on a deeper level many parents find extremely rewarding.
Meanwhile, kids this age are spending a ton of time looking at screens on their phones, video game consoles, tablets and computers, both at school and at home. It’s a great time to consider buying gifts that peel their eyes off of screens, and engage them in writing, reading, creating and being physically active.
Here’s a roundup of awesome, screen-free gifts for 9-year-olds. Of course, we added some tech ideas and a few that require kids to go online. Either way, you’re sure to find just the perfect gift for any 9-year-old. Even the sassy ones.
Each product we feature has been independently selected and reviewed by our editorial team. If you make a purchase using the links included, we may earn commission.