How to make a koala bear birthday cake with Ring Dings and doughnuts
- 1 (9-inch) round cake
- 2 chocolate frosted cream-filled snack cake (Ring Dings)
- 2 plain doughnuts
- 1 can (16 oz) vanilla frosting
- Black food coloring
- ½ cup dark chocolate frosting
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 2 chocolate Junior Mints
- 2 brown M&M’s
What you’ll need:
- A serving platter
- A bread knife
- A large resealable plastic bag
Trimming the cake:
- Cut a ½-inch slice from upper left and upper right areas of the round cake (see template).
- Cut a Ring Ding in half to make two half-moons. Arrange the cake, snack cakes and doughnuts on a serving platter as shown in the diagram.
Frosting the cake:
- Tint the vanilla frosting light grey with the black food coloring.
- Spread the top, ears and chin area of cake with the grey frosting and make smooth. Spread the nose area with the chocolate frosting.
To complete the decoration:
- Place all but ½ cup of the coconut into the resealable bag. Add a few drops of the black food coloring. Seal the bag and rub the coconut with the food coloring until tinted a light grey.
- Press the grey coconut over the ears and chin area of cake to create the fur. Add the reserved white coconut to the middle of the ears and under the nose to create the tufts of fur.
- Press the Junior Mints on either side of the nose for the eyes.
- Press the brown M&M’s into the bottom of the nose for the nostrils.