* Make reading an adventure by connecting read-aloud choices to summer activities. Choose books that allow children to explore new places, meet new people and discover new things.
* Plan an outing to your favorite nature center, theme park or zoo. Review the destination brochure or website to plan your activities and what you hope to discover once you get there. Read the maps and field guides as you explore.
* Take books along on summer outings. Pack books in the family beach bag, picnic basket or backpack.
* Swap books with a friend. Keep sharing books throughout the summer.
* Document summer activities and travels in your personal journal. This will improve writing skills and keep treasured memories fresh.
RIF has teamed up with Buddig to encourage families to read together and raise money for RIF’s literacy education initiatives. Their Be A Reader campaign features a contest this summer, giving children ages 6-13 a chance to win a $1,000 scholarship and free books from Scholastic.
If you’d like to participate, visit BuddigBeAReader.com and read an e-book together with your child online. Then write a description about your experience. The contest ends July 25.
Mom Congress loves Reading Is Fundamental and all the great work they do. This year RIF lost 80% of their operating funds due to federal budget cuts so I encourage you to support RIF by visiting your local Macy’s store now through Sunday, July 31. You can give $3 to help provide a book for a child and in return, you’ll receive $10 off a $50 purchase or more. Macy’s will give 100% of your $3 donation directly to RIF as part of the Be Book Smart initiative.