New or gently used books are now being collected to give to the 300 foster children in the Methodist Home for Children programs. Research has shown that reading books aloud is the best way to improve the literacy skills of children in foster care. This is even more important for foster children who may never have owned a book or had a caring adult read them a story. This important connection of reading to a child is made even more difficult if the foster care providers don’t have books to read to the children in their care.
Western Wake iMoms teamed up in this effort to make a difference in the lives of 300 foster children this holiday season by providing them with a set of books on their reading level. The book drive kicked off on Nov. 5 at the iMom meeting. This event was a success - the bin was overflowing and the ones established over the weekend are ready to be emptied. Approximately 600 more books are needed.
The Parenting magazine Mom Congress Read.Connect.Grow! literacy events presented by Target were held recently to raise awareness of the need to read to kids and find ways to put books in the hands of our at-risk children.
To learn more or donate books, contact Liza Weidle at firstname.lastname@example.org. Liza Weidle is the NC Mom Congress delegate and author of "Truth about Parenting: Navigating the Elementary Years."
Recommended books to give – more on Parenting.com
For pre-school/elementary reading levels
- Let’s Get Ready for Kindergarten By Stacey Kannenberg
- Let’s Get Ready for First Grade By Stacey Kannenberg
- Where the Wild Things Are By Maurice Sendak
- The Snowy Day By Ezra Jack Keats
- James and the Giant Peach By Roald Dahl
- Wonder Bear By Tao Nyeu
- When Sheep Cannot Sleep By Satoshi Kitamura
- No Flying in the House By Betty Brock
- Skippy Jon Jones, Lost in Spice By Judy Schachner
For middle/high school reading levels – greatest need for this book drive
- Artemis Fowl By Eoin Colfer
- The 39 Clues By Various Authors
- The Curse of the Cheese Pyramid By Geronimo Stilton
- The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids By Dadey and Jones
- The Zack Files By Dan Greenburg
- Junie B. Jones By Barbara Park
- Dragon Slippers By Jessica Day George
- The Spiderwick Chronicles By Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black
- Million-Dollar Throw By Mike Lupica
- Tangerine By Edward Bloor
- Catwings By Ursula K. Le Guin