Image Credits: Primary
Special fabric helps active littles chill out.
Every time the weather heats up, we start to see ads for men’s and women’s clothing with “cooling technology,” calling to mind images of futuristic jumpsuits with built-in air conditioners—which, yes, please. But as temps climb, we parents are really in the market for something to prevent our children from overheating, especially since we can’t exactly keep them indoors or in the pool indefinitely. And we’re in luck, as there are cooling shirts for kids we can easily stock up on for the coming heat waves.
Just like adults, children are susceptible to heat-related health risks such as dehydration, cramps, exhaustion, and even heat stroke, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics’ HealthyChildren.org. They also don’t have as much ability to sweat and cool themselves off as adults do. Meanwhile, we’re still sending them outside to play, participate in sports, and attend summer camps. That’s still a good thing for their health, as long as they have plenty of water, sunblock, grown-ups monitoring them for signs of excessive heat exposure, and the right clothing.
RELATED: The Best Sunscreen for Kids in 2021
- Best Cooling Shirt for Kids of All Ages and Genders: Primary Stay Cool Tee
- Best Short-Sleeved Cooling Shirt for Toddlers: Cat & Jack Play Every Day Shirt
- Best Long-Sleeved Cooling Shirt for Toddlers: Vapor Apparel UPF 50 Performance Shirt
- Best Cooling T-Shirts to Buy in Bulk: Hanes Cool Dri Performance Crewneck 3-Pack
- Best Cooling Tank Top for Girls: C9 Champion Girls Performance Tank
- Best T-Shirt With High-Tech Cooling Fabric Description: TSLA Youth Running Shirt
- Best High-Necked Cooling Shirt for Riding: Kerrits Kids Cool Ride Ice Fil Short Sleeve Shirt
- Best Cooling Vest for Kids: Techniche HyperKewl Evaporative Cooling Child Sport Vest
Cooling shirts, while not space-age personal A/Cs, do help kids cope with high temperatures. They’re made with fabrics that wick away moisture for faster evaporation, a process that also removes heat from the surrounding air. And because it’s better for skin to stay covered from the sun, these shirts are even better than a kid’s first instinct in hot weather, to strip down and run free.
Each product we feature has been independently selected and reviewed by our editorial team. If you make a purchase using the links included, we may earn commission.