Image Credits: Toms, Amazon
From sandals to hiking shoes, boys and girls will love following in your footsteps.
The concept of dressing your kids to match you, quaintly known as “mommy and me” style, has come a long way. It’s no longer just about wearing matching frilly dresses and suits for cheesy family portraits at a department store. But if going all out with a complete matching outfit still makes you cringe, we present a more subtle option that will make kids and their grownups feel special and connected to each other: mommy and me shoes.
- Best Shoe That’s Also a Nod to Street Art: Skechers x JGoldcrown: BOBS Sport Squad - Starry Love
- Best for Hot Weather: Birkenstock Unisex Arizona Essentials EVA
- Best Casual Street Sneakers: Vans Old Skool Core Classics
- Best Trendy Sandal: Steve Madden Kimmie Espadrille Sandal
- Prettiest Everyday Loafers: Toms Alpargata Plaid Bow
- Best Sneakers for a Family Run: Adidas Cloudfoam Pure Running Shoe
- Best Shoes for Splashing and Lounging: Crocs Classic Tie-Dye Clogs
- Best Boots for ‘90s Nostalgia: Dr. Martens 1460 Smooth Leather Boot
- Best Shoes for a Special Occasion: Nina Venus
- Best Hiking Shoes: Merrell Zion FST
While you may have an easier time matching your shoes with a child of the same gender, there is absolutely no reason to limit yourself to mom-daughter, dad-son pairings. (While we’re on the topic, it would actually be nice if kids shoes stopped being assigned a gender.) Parents and their children can find many ways to match in sneakers, sandals, boots, and formal shoes—especially when they’re shopping favorite brands with iconic styles. From baby Dr. Martens and Vans to big kid Crocs and Birkenstocks, you and your progeny can twin all year long.
There’s so much to love about getting mommy and me shoes (and sure, dads are invited, too). Little kids who are reluctant to dress up for an occasion may feel better about literally following in Mom’s footsteps. And lacing up or slipping on a pair of matching sneakers or hiking shoes can motivate kids to be active with their parents. This is one more reminder that our kids are watching, so we may as well model good fashion sense and healthy lifestyles on our feet.
Each product we feature has been independently selected and reviewed by our editorial team. If you make a purchase using the links included, we may earn commission.