Shop The Story
Parents eager to promote an early interest in STEM are paving a wonderful path toward introducing girls to Science, Technology, Engineering and Math while opening up a wide world of fascinating technologies that strengthen problem-solving and critical thinking in addition to teaching the science behind coding, exciting experiments and electrical engineering. “Parents should introduce their child to STEM-related materials as early as infancy,” suggests Kiddie Academy Curriculum Project Manager Carmen Draayer. “For example, a color ring stacker provides a world of entertainment for an infant. However, as an infant explores with the color ring stacker, they are developing eye-hand coordination, fine motor control, learning about cause and effect as well as trial and error.”
Best STEM Toys For Girls:
- Best Overall: Elenco Snap Circuits Jr.
- Best For Toddlers: Fisher-Price Think & Learn Rocktopus
- Best For Young Girls: Marble Galaxy Fun Run Set Game
- Best For Older Girls: Scientific Explorer Magic Science For Wizards Only Kit
- Best For Preteens: Sphero BOLT
- Best Coding Toys: Ozobot Bit Maker Starter Pack
- Best Robots: Anki Cozmo Robot
- Best Experiment Kits: Scientific Explorer My First Mind Blowing Science Kit
- Best Engineering Toys: K'NEX Thrill Rides 3-In-1 Classic Amusement Park Building Set
- Best Gardening Toys:INNOCHEER Kids Gardening Tools
- Best Engineering Toys: The New Girl Code - The launch of a fashion app
With so many STEM toys and books available for girls of every age, it’s crucial to consider the skill level and curiosity of your child when selecting the perfect products. “It’s important to understand your child’s interest when determining what STEM toys to provide,” adds Draayer. “Children are developing ways to apply reason and logic while having fun. Exposing children to STEM-related materials may inspire a child to become an engineer, a scientist, or even an astronaut.” The benefits of these high-tech teaching tools are incredible as young girls get an early STEM-friendly education while engaging in fun activities.
“STEM toys encourage children to design, create and develop cognitive, academic and motor skills with hands-on learning and real-world experiences that engage problem-solving and critical thinking skills,” adds Draayer. We’ve taken the science out of searching for super cool STEM toys to engage and inspire your girl to get excited about a technical future as she learns amazing scientific facts in a field still largely underrepresented by women. Check out our roundup of stimulating educational STEM toys to support your little lady’s love of science.
Each product we feature has been independently selected and reviewed by our editorial team. If you make a purchase using the links included, we may earn commission.