Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 2 minutes
Bake time: 75 minutes
5 Tbs butter, divided, plus more for baking dish
Three 12-oz packages frozen winter squash, thawed
1/4 cup dark brown sugar, plus 2 Tbs
3 Tbs flour
1 cup low-fat milk
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1. Lightly butter a wide, shallow baking dish. In a large mixing bowl, stir together squash and 1/4 cup of brown sugar.
2. Melt 3 Tbs butter in small saucepan. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add milk, salt and cinnamon; whisk until smooth.
3. With an electric mixer on medium, beat eggs into squash. Add milk mixture; beat until smooth. Spread into dish and refrigerate.
4. Melt 2 Tbs butter; stir in brown sugar and walnuts. Refrigerate.
5. Bake squash, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Sprinkle with walnut topping. Bake for 30 more minutes.
TIP: To prep and bake the day before, shorten bake time by 10 minutes. Cool, wrap and refrigerate. Reheat in the microwave.
How kids can help: Measure ingredients; butter the dish.
Per serving: 278 calories, 15 g fat (6 g saturated), 337 mg sodium, 101 mg cholesterol.