Use pita, cream cheese, turkey and fruit to make a dragonfly sandwich that's ready to whoosh off your plate and fly away
Makes 1 dragonfly sandwich
You will need:
1/2 whole wheat pita
1 baby dill pickle
2 thin carrot matchsticks
¼ cup lowfat cream cheese
2 tablespoons vanilla yogurt
½ teaspoon ground tumeric
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
Pinch of salt
2 slices honey-baked turkey breast
4 thin orange slices
4 thin red apple slices
1. Flap your arms 4 times. Now use clean children's scissors to cut the pita bread into four 1-inch ovals to help shape the wings. Use a butter knife to slice one-third of the pickle off the top and set aside for the dragonfly's head. The rest of the pickle will be its tail.
2. Use a toothpick to make two small holes on the top of the pickle head. Slide one small carrot stick into each of the holes for the antennae.
3. Buzz like a bug as you combine the cream cheese, yogurt, tumeric, garlic powder and salt in a bowl. Spread it on top of your pita bread.
4. Place your turkey slices on top of each other and roll them up tightly. Place the turkey roll-up in the center of a plate. Place the pickle aead at one end, and the rest of the pickle at the other.
5. To help our dragonfly fly, it needs wings. Place two pita ovals on each side of the turkey body. Stack the sliced oranges and sliced apples on the wings, making sure all tips are pointing in. Run around the house like you're a dragonfly whooshing through the air before landing at your lunch table for a scrumptious sandwich!
From the book Bean Appetit by Shannon Payette Seip and Kelly Parthen, with Carisa Dixon