Prep time: About 25 Minutes
Cook time: 4 Minutes per Waffle
Serves: 4 Servings
5 Tbs butter
1 3/4 cups nonfat buttermilk*
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp double-acting baking
3 Tbs sugar
Pinch ground ginger, cinnamon, or nutmeg, optional
1 cup strawberries, stemmed and cut into small pieces
Dollop of whipped cream
Jelly or jam
Reduced-fat sour cream or plain low-fat yogurt
Whisk eggs; mix batter; cut up strawberries with plastic knife.
1. In a small skillet, melt the butter over low heat.
2. Separate the eggs, placing the yolks in a large bowl and the whites in a medium bowl. Whisk the yolks with the buttermilk and melted butter. Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, salt, and ginger over yolk mixture until combined.
3. Whisk the egg whites using an electric mixer or a whisk until soft peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into the yolk mixture.
4. Heat a waffle iron until hot; the light should go on. Add a few tablespoons of batter to the hot iron and close the top. Cook for about 4 minutes. (If the top sticks when opened, it means the waffle isn’t fully cooked yet.)
5. Serve hot with strawberries and a dollop of whipped cream, or with any of the other toppings.
PER SERVING (1 waffle with strawberries and whipped cream): 514 calories, 20 g fat (11 g saturated), 412 mg sodium, 146 mg cholesterol. High in cancer-fighting selenium and vitamin B