Food & Recipes
Butterscotch Cupcake Recipe with Caramel Frosting
by Betty Crocker's The Big Book of Cupcakes
An easy recipe for butterscotch cupcakes.
Makes: 24 cupcakes
Prep time: 50 Minutes
Start to finish: 2 Hours 20 Minutes
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3/4 cup butterscotch chips, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher (coarse) salt
- Heat oven to 350°F. Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups, grease bottom and sides of muffin cups with shortening and lightly flour, or spray with baking spray with flour. In medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat butter with electric mixer on medium speed 30 seconds. Gradually add granulated sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping bowl occasionally. Beat 2 minutes longer. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. On low speed, alternately add flour mixture, about 1/3 of mixture at a time, and milk, about 1/2 at a time, beating just until blended. Stir in butterscotch chips. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each with about 3 tablespoons batter or until 2/3 to 3/4 full.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pans; place on cooling racks. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar with whisk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Stir in 1/4 cup milk. Return to boiling. Remove from heat; cool until lukewarm, about 30 minutes. Gradually stir in powdered sugar. Frost cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle each with kosher salt.
1 Serving (1 Cupcake):
Calories 330 (Calories from Fat 130), Total Fat 14g (Saturated Fat 9g,Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 60mg; Sodium 240mg; Total Carbohydrate 48g (Dietary Fiber 0g,Sugars 38g), Protein 2g; Percent Daily Value*: Calcium; Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Milk; 0 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 0 High-Fat Meat; 2 1/2 Fat; Carbohydrate Choices: 3; *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
See more great cupcake recipes for kids!