Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Baking Time: About 10 Minutes
Yield: 12 Cookies
* 1/2 batch [XREF “1115924” “Basic Cookie Dough”]
* Nonstick cooking spray
* 10 drops red food coloring
For an even more colorful version, add green food coloring to half the dough and red to the other half, and twist to create green-and-red candy canes.
1. Remove the dough from the refrigerator (or freezer) and knead it 4 or 5 times on work surface to soften. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Divide the dough in half. Add red food coloring to 1 portion and mix well; adjust the amount depending upon how dark you want the red to be.
3. Break off small pieces of red dough and roll into 5-inch lengths, about as thick as a pencil. Repeat with untinted dough. (If it’s too sticky, add flour, 1 tablespoon at a time.) Starting at 1 end, twist a strand of red dough around a strand of untinted dough, continuing to twist until you reach the end. Pinch ends together and bend the twisted strands into a cane shape.
4. Carefully place on the prepared baking sheet about 1 inch apart. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until bottoms start to brown. Remove with a spatula to a wire rack. Let cool about 15 minutes. Store in an airtight container with waxed paper between the layers.
How Kids Can Help:
* Roll dough into strands
* Twist together
* Bend into candy canes