Prep time: 5 minutes
Bake time: 25 to 30 minutes
Yield: 6 Servings
- 9-inch unbaked pie shell (from the dairy case)
- 1/2 of a 10-oz package frozen chopped broccoli (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups grated part-skim swiss cheese
- 1/4 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup 1% milk
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste Pinch of black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 425° F. Bake pie shell for 5 minutes, then remove from oven and set aside. Reduce heat to 375º F.
2. Microwave broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl for about 3 minutes at full power, or until thawed. Drain well in colander.
3. Sprinkle 1 cup of cheese over pie shell. Top with broccoli and onion.
4. In a small bowl, beat eggs until blended. Stir in milk, salt, and pepper, and pour over broccoli. Sprinkle on remaining cheese.
5. Bake for 25 minutes, or until tart is golden brown and puffy. Let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.
How kids can help: Measure ingredients; beat eggs.
Per Serving: 292 calories, 19 g fat (9 g saturated), 466 mg sodium, 132 mg cholesterol