A cookie recipe from Food Network’s Alex Guarnaschelli
This is a really simple recipe and makes a shortbread that is great with coffee or as a companion to ice creams and sorbets.
1 cup salted butter, room temperature plus a little extra for greasing the baking sheet
½ cup granulated sugar
2 ounces semisweet chocolate
2 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1. Preheat the oven to 300F°.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk, “cream” the butter and sugar together by whipping until light and fluffy, 5-8 minutes.
3. In a small pot (or in a double boiler) melt the chocolate. Gently fold the flour into the butter mixture. Stir in the melted chocolate.
4. Grease a standard baking sheet with the remaining butter. Gently “press” the mixture into the baking sheet. Place the tray in the center of the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes. To test for doneness: insert the tip of a small knife into the shortbread. It should emerge clean.
5. Remove the tray from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Turn the tray on to a flat surface and cut the shortbread into strips or wedges. Allow to cool on a rack for 20 minutes before serving.
Check out The Cooking Loft, Alex Guarnaschelli’s show on the Food Network.