Also good with pancakes, sandwiches, or on ice cream for a hot apple pie sundae! You can make it three days ahead of time and heat in a saucepan over low heat, or in the microwave, until warm.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yield: 6 to 8 servings (about 3 cups)
* 2 1/2 pounds (7 to 8) apples (we recommend McIntosh)
* 1/4 cup water
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 1 tsp ground cinnamon
* 2 tsp lemon juice or to taste
* Sugar to taste
1. Peel, core, and quarter apples.
2. Place apples in a heavy saucepan with 1?4 cup water. Add the sugar and cinnamon. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, or until very soft. If the apples start to dry out, add a little more water.
3. Spoon the mixture into a food processor or blender and blend until fairly smooth but still a little chunky.
4. Stir in lemon juice. Taste, adding additional juice or sugar if desired.
How kids can help Measure ingredients; squeeze juice from lemon; stir lemon juice into applesauce
Per serving: 125 calories, 0 g fat, 0 mg sodium, 0 mg cholesterol