These zesty alternatives to peanut butter cookies were a finalist in our 2008 Cookie Bake-Off Bonanza
Yield: 48 Cookies
2 ½ cups flour
1 ¼ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 ½ sticks unsalted butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
¼ cup white sugar
1 cup smooth almond butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp almond extract
zest of one large orange
½ cup toasted slivered almonds, chopped fine
½ cup dark chocolate shavings
granulated sugar for rolling dough in
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking pans with parchment paper.
2. Beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
3. Mix in the almond butter. Mix in the egg until incorporated. Add extracts and orange zest.
4. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add to butter mixture. Fold in toasted almonds and chocolate shavings.
5. Let dough rest for 5 minutes to set. Roll tablespoon-sized balls of dough in sugar. Flatten with the bottom of a glass or create cross marks with the back of a fork.
6. Bake at 350 for 9 to 11 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes on the baking pan, then remove to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Submitted by Kristin Ferguson