An elegant, sesame-sprinkled cookie with a kick of wasabi — and the winner of our 2008 Cookie Bake-Off Bonanza!
2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
¾ cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
½ cup light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp almond extract
1/3 cup toasted sesame seeds
½ cup honey, warmed slightly
½ tsp wasabi powder
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Sift together flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
3. Cream butter, tahini, and sugars. Add egg and almond extract and blend thoroughly. Blend in dry ingredients slowly until combined.
4. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet in one-inch balls, 2 inches apart for 8-10 min. When completely cooled, remove to wire rack.
5. While the cookies are baking, blend warmed honey and wasabi powder. Dip a fork into mixture and drizzle over cooled cookies, repeating until all cookies have a little on them. Follow by sprinkling with toasted sesame seeds.
Submitted by Stephanie Zack