These tart lime shortbread cookies were a finalist in our 2009 Cookie Bake-Off Bonanza!
1/2 pound butter (2 sticks) – room temperature
1/2 cups sugar, plus a little extra to decorate
2-3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 limes** (juiced and zested for the following)
1/4 lime zest
1/2 c lime juice
**Note: If key limes are not available, persian limes will work as well. Key limes are typically smaller and may require many many more than 4. If using bottled key lime juice, feel free to use persians for the lime zest.
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Prepare 2 cookie sheets (lightly grease, or use parchment paper).
3. Beat butter in a mixer to soften and gradually add sugar. Mix until light and fluffy.
4. Slowly add juice and zest.
5. Gradually add flour and baking powder until the dough becomes soft.
6. Portion dough into walnut sized balls, or use a small cookie scoop to portion. Allow about 1/2-inch of space between each cookie.
7. Gently flatten the dough balls with a fork (patterned), or palm of your hand (flattened).
8. Lightly sprinkle with sugar before baking.
9. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until the cookies are a pale yellow color. Do not over bake, or they will become too dry.
10. Cool slightly on cookie sheet, and transfer to baking rack to cool completely.
Yield: 3 dozen
Submitted by Krissy Guttendorf