For picky eaters, replace with chicken and leave out the parsley
PREP: 20 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 30 minutes
Lemon Tartar Sauce*
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
1/3 cup light sour cream
2 Tbsp sweet relish
1 tsp lemon zest
Salt to taste
(*Or just use 1 tsp lemon zest to perk up a bottled sauce.)
3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 Tbsp milk
1 lb tilapia fillets, halved lengthwise (catfish works, too)
3/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp canola oil
1. Stir together all the ingredients for the tartar sauce and set aside.
2. Combine the panko and parsley on a dinner plate.
3. Mix egg and milk in a bowl.
4. Working one at a time, dip the fish fillets in the egg-and-milk mixture and shake off the excess; dredge lightly in the crumb mixture. Sprinkle with salt.
5. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the fillets and cook until golden brown on one side, about 4 minutes. Turn, and cook until fish is no longer translucent in the center, about another 4 minutes. (Thicker pieces may take slightly longer.) Serve immediately, or keep warm in a 200°F oven.
PER SERVING, WITH TARTAR SAUCE: 301 calories, 16 g fat (3 g saturated), 711 mg sodium, 113 mg cholesterol
QUICKIE-SIDE SUGGESTION: Creamed Spinach In a medium pot, stir 1 Tbsp flour into 1 Tbsp milk until smooth. Place over medium heat and immediately add 2/3 cup milk, a pinch of nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook, whisking until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in ¼ cup grated parmesan, then add 1 box (10 oz) frozen spinach, thawed and drained. Heat through.
Ideas for Picky Eaters Cut a couple of the fillets into strips and prepare as directed for dippable fish sticks, or swap in chicken (adjust the cooking time). Got a kid who will blanch at the “green things” in the breading? Just leave out the parsley.