This recipe from The Ultimate Cake Mix Cookie Book turns a simple box of chocolate cake mix into delicious whoopie pies
Makes 15 whoopies
- 1 (18.25-ounce) package devil’s food cake mix
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Optional: 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/4 cups (from 16-ounce tub) ready-to spread vanilla frosting
- 1 1/4 cups (from 8-ounce tub) frozen whipped topping (such as Cool Whip), thawed
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix the cake mix, oil, eggs and cocoa powder in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed 1 to 2 minutes until blended. If desired, stir in the chocolate chips.
2. Drop by 1/4-cupfuls, 3 inches apart, onto prepared greased cookie sheets or cookie sheets lined with parchment paper. 3. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until edges are firm and center is just barely set when lightly touched. Cool 1 minute on sheets, then carefully remove cookies with spatula to wire racks to cool completely.
4. Mix the frosting and whipped topping in a medium bowl until blended. Spread flat side of half of cookies with frosting, then sandwich with remaining cookies.
© Sourcebooks, Inc. The Ultimate Cake Mix Cookie Book by Camilla Saulsbury