Crunchy, crispy rice cereal makes these brownies an irresistible dessert for kids. You're going to want seconds!
People always ask what makes these brownies so good. The answer is simple: crunchy, crispy rice cereal! These brownies freeze well, staying fresh tightly wrapped in the freezer for up to 1 month, and thaw quickly for an almost-instant homemade dessert. Keep a stash handy. Makes 15 large or 30 small brownies
- Nonstick cooking spray or unsalted butter for greasing
- 1 cup (8 oz/250 g) cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 2 cups (12 oz/375 g) semisweet chocolate chips, plus 1 cup (6 oz/185 g)
- 4 oz (125 g) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup (8 oz/250 g) sugar
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (4 oz/125 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 oz/45 g) crisped rice cereal (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly spray or grease a 9-by-12-inch (23-by-30-cm) bakingpan with cooking spray or butter.
- Combine the butter, the 2 cups chocolate chips and the bittersweet chocolate in a metal bowl orthe top pan of a double boiler and place over (not touching) simmering water. Heat, stirring, untilall of the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. Remove from the heat and let cool untilstill warm but not too hot to touch, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, sugar and vanilla and stir until well blended. Pour the eggmixture slowly into the warm chocolate mixture, stirring until thoroughly combined. Let cool toroom temperature, about 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, the remaining 1 cup chocolatechips, and the crisped rice cereal, if using. Add to the cooled chocolate mixture and stir just untilcombined. Be careful not to overmix. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the topwith a rubber spatula.
- Bake just until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 35–40 minutes.Be careful not to overbake. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely in the pan, thenrefrigerate until well chilled, about 4 hours. Cut into bars and serve. Store leftover bars in anairtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.