Are you struggling to find gluten-free pizza? Make your own with this recipe that's simple enough that the kids can help.
Pizza night can be tricky if you have a family member who has to follow a gluten-free diet, like we do. Luckily, we've found that some of our favorite pizza joints are offering gluten-free pies. Pizza night at home, however, can be a little trickier. Our solution is this gluten-free dough that the kids can help roll out. I suggest prepping all the fixin's ahead of time and laying everything out on a large cutting board, so the kids can easily grab what they need. It also makes cleanup super simple. Rinse, dry and use it to lay your pizza on to slice when it's done baking.
Prep time: 35 minutes
Bake time: 13 minutes
Yields: One crust makes eight generous slices
Tools: Parchment paper, pizza pan and rolling pin
- Pizza sauce: Whether it's fresh from your grocer or in a jar, make sure it's certified gluten free. We like Muir Glen Organics.
- Gluten-free pizza dough: It can usually be found in your health food store's frozen-food section. We love BeeFree Ready-To-Roll dough because it gets an A+ for taste and is very easy to work with, even for little hands.
- Toppings of choice: We used mozzarella cheese, black olives, peppers, arugula and pepperoni. Read the pepperoni packaging to ensure it's gluten free. Some have fillers that contain gluten.
Precautions to avoid cross contamination:
- Designate a special cutting board for all topping prep and pizza cutting.
- Designate a special pan to bake the pizzas.
- Designate special kitchen tools, such as the pizza slicer and pastry brush, for only gluten-free cooking
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prep all the toppings and lay them on a large cutting board.
- Roll thawed dough between two pieces of parchment paper. Gluten-free dough can be hard to work with, especially since you can't flour your surface to roll it out.
- Transfer crust to the pizza pan and lightly it brush with olive oil. Let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Bake 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Remove crust and reduce oven temp to 350 degrees.
- Add toppings.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- Let cool and slice.