Here's a step-by-step photo guide to making a carrot flower to be used in our 20 easy bento box lunch ideas.
1. Slice carrot into coins. Cut out a round shape using a plastic cap or small round cookie cutter as a guide.
2. Use a diamond-shaped (or square) cookie cutter to cut small "V" shapes around the edge of the carrot slice.
3. If you don't have a cookie cutter, cut out an upside-down "V" shape around the carrot slice using a knife.
4. You can use as many petals as you like for each flower.
5. You can precut and store carrot flowers frozen. Before storing, cook the carrots in boiling water for about 1 minute (depending on the size of the flower). Plunge the cooked carrots in ice water to stop the cooking. Dry the carrots well and place in a storage container, not touching and layered with plastic and freeze, Sprinkle the carrot flowers on the bento in the morning and they will be thawed by lunchtime.