Yum! This frozen recipe is like eating lemonade
Spooning up this icy cooler is like eating lemonade. The lemon slices add an appealing texture and flavor. Our kid testers liked the combination of sweet and sour.
|Prep time: 5 Minutes
Cook time: 5 Minutes
Yield: 4 Servings
- 2/3 cup sugar, plus 2 Tbs or more to taste
- 1 cup water
- Juice of 2 lemons and 2 limes (2/3 cup total)
- 1 lemon, washed and cut into paper-thin slices and finely chopped, optional
- 1 lime, thinly sliced, for garnish, optional
- In a saucepan, heat sugar and water to a boil, then simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the lemon and lime juices and cook 1 minute, then add the lemon slices, if desired, and cook 1 minute.
- Transfer mixture to a 9- by 13-inch metal or glass pan and freeze for 2 to 3 hours, or until half frozen. Using a fork, break up the ice until texture is almost smooth. Freeze for another hour.
- Break up ice crystals with a fork and scoop mixture into a parfait glass or tall, narrow glass; serve with a spoon, a straw, and, if desired, a slice of lime on the edge of glass.
|How kids can help: Scrub fruit thoroughly; squeeze juice from lemons and limes; break up slushy mixture with a fork.|
Per serving (1/4 recipe): 164 calories, 0 g fat (0 g saturated), 0.8 mg sodium, 0 mg cholesterol.