Prep time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 20 minutes
Yield: 2 dozen
* 1/2 cup unsalted butter
* 1 1/2 cups graham-cracker crumbs
* 1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
* 1 cup chocolate chips
* 1 cup butterscotch chips
* 1/2 cup shredded coconut
1. Put the butter into a 9 by 13-inch pan and place pan in the oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. (The butter will melt as the oven preheats.)
2. Remove pan from oven and sprinkle the graham- cracker crumbs over the melted butter. Pour the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the crumbs. Sprinkle on the chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and coconut. Press down carefully with a spatula. (The pan will be very hot.)
3. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool about 1 hour, then cut into small bars (they’re very rich!). Serve bars immediately or refrigerate.
How kids can help: Unwrap butter; crush graham crackers; measure ingredients; sprinkle chips and coconut on top of condensed milk.
Per bar: 194 calories, 11g fat (7 g saturated), 64 mg sodium, 15 mg cholesterol.
1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
8 ounces chocolate chips
8 ounces butterscotch chips
Shredded coconut, enough for 1/2 cup
From the pantry: