A yummy, kid-friendly meal and 6 more quick, healthy recipes for the whole family
Marinated Grilled Chicken with Couscous Tomato Salad
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp lemon juice, plus 1 Tbsp
3 Tbsp olive oil, plus 2 Tbsp
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
Salt and pepper to taste
½ cup couscous
¼ cup fresh mint, chopped
2 Tbsp red onion, finely chopped
1 large tomato, diced
1. Combine garlic, brown sugar, 2 Tbsp lemon juice, and 3 Tbsp olive oil in a small bowl.
2. Using a rolling pin, lightly pound chicken breasts between sheets of waxed paper until they are 1/2 inch thick. Place chicken on a plate in a single layer, and coat with the garlic marinade. Season both sides with salt and pepper. Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes, or keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
3. Cook couscous according to package instructions. Fluff with a fork, then add 1 Tbsp lemon juice, 2 Tbsp olive oil, mint, red onion, tomato and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
4. If grilling outside, cook chicken until browned and just cooked through, about 3 minutes on each side. For indoor preparation, preheat oven to 375°F. Heat an ovenproof skillet on the stovetop, and cook chicken for 3 to 4 minutes. Flip, then place pan in oven and bake for 3 more minutes. Serve over couscous.
Per serving: 396 calories, 19 g fat (3 g saturated), 376 mg sodium, 68 mg cholesterol
Baked Pasta with Summer Veggies
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 zucchini, sliced (or substitute summer squash, carrots or eggplant)
2 Tbsp olive oil Salt and pepper to taste
1 lb ziti or penne pasta
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, plus 1/2 cup
Pinch of nutmeg
3 tomatoes, chopped
1 Tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
1/2 lb fresh mozzarella, cubed
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly coat a large, shallow baking dish with cooking spray. Place a large pot of salted water over medium-high heat.
2. Toss onion, garlic, red pepper and zucchini in a large bowl with olive oil; season with salt and pepper to taste. Place vegetables on a baking sheet, and bake for 10 minutes.
3. While vegetables are roasting, add pasta to the water and boil about 2 minutes short of package directions (it should still be slightly firm). Drain.
4. In a large bowl, mix the ricotta, 1/4 cup parmesan and the nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper. Gently toss pasta with the ricotta mixture, vegetables, tomatoes, oregano and mozzarella. Pour mixture into the baking dish.
5. Sprinkle top with the remaining parmesan and bread crumbs. Bake, uncovered, until lightly browned and bubbling, about 20 minutes. Serve immediately.
Time-saver: Assemble through Step 4 and refrigerate up to a day ahead.
Per serving: 536 calories, 22 g fat (11 g saturated), 570 mg sodium, 44 mg cholesterol
5 Meals Ready in Minutes
Monday: Chicken Taco Salad
Toss together chopped romaine lettuce, shredded rotisserie chicken, shredded cheddar and tortilla chips. Dress with guacamole and salsa.
Tuesday: Quick Fish with Lemon
Coat any mild white fish fillets with vegetable oil, salt and pepper. Cook in a skillet until just browned on both sides (3 to 6 minutes). Squeeze lemon over fish, and serve with tartar sauce and a salad.
Wednesday: TBLT Sandwich
Microwave turkey bacon until crispy. Assemble bacon, lettuce leaves and sliced tomato on toasted bread with mayo.
Thursday: Steak and Sugar Snaps Stir-Fry
Season sliced flank steak with salt, pepper and sesame oil; stir-fry for 3 minutes. Remove beef. Add onion, and cook for a few minutes; add sugar snaps, and sauté a few minutes more. Sprinkle in sesame seeds. Add back beef, and season with rice-wine vinegar. Serve with brown rice.
Coat an ovenproof skillet with oil, and cook chopped onion and veggies. Add 8 beaten eggs seasoned with salt and pepper to pan. Bake under the broiler until the edges start to firm. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, and cook until melted.