Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 1 1/2 hours
Serves: twelve 4-inch ghosts
2 baking sheets
Electric mixer, optional
Large mixing bowl
1/4 -inch-wide round pastry tip
1/8-inch-wide round pastry tip or wooden skewer
3 egg whites
1/4 tsp distilled white or cider vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
24 mini-chocolate chips
2-inch piece red Fruit Roll-Up
1. Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Using an electric mixer or by hand, beat the egg whites, salt, and vinegar in a bowl until very frothy. Continue beating; gradually add the sugar until stiff peaks form and the sugar is dissolved. (The mixture will feel smooth, without any graininess.)
3. Spoon 1/4 cupfuls of the meringue mixture into mounds on baking sheets, placing them at least 2 inches apart. Use the spoon to spread the mounds into ghost shapes that are about 3 1/2 inches long and 2 inches wide.
4. Press two mini-chocolate chips into each meringue mound for eyes. Use the 1/4-inch-wide pastry tip to press out 12 rounds of Fruit Roll-Up. Make a hole in the center of each round using the smaller, 1/8-inch-wide pastry tip or the blunt end of a skewer. Press into each meringue for a mouth.
5. Bake for 1 1/2 hours, or until dry and crisp but not browned. Cool on baking sheets set on wire racks for 30 minutes.