Prep time: 15 Minutes
Cook time: 45 Minutes
Serves: 6 Servings
1 Tbs chopped fresh thyme or
1 teaspoon dried
1 prepared 9-inch pie crust
5 strips bacon
2 large eggs
16 oz reduced-fat sour cream or
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup grated cheese, such as cheddar, parmesan, or monterey jack
Whisk batter and pour it into pie crust.
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Sprinkle half the thyme in the bottom of the prepared pie crust and set aside.
3. In a large skillet, cook the strips of bacon until crisp on both sides. Drain on paper towel to remove the excess oil and crumble into tiny pieces.
4. In a bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the reduced-fat sour cream, salt, pepper, and remaining thyme; beat well. Add the cheese of your choice and crumbled bacon.
5. Pour the filling into the pie crust and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for about 45 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
PER SERVING ( 1/6 recipe): 339 calories, 26 g fat (12.7 g saturated), 479 mg sodium, 120 mg cholesterol. This recipe delivers a generous amount of calcium.