Prep Time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 30 minutes
Cooling time: 30 minutes
Yield: 5 1/2 cups
* 4 cups whole, raw almonds
* Butter (to grease pans)
* 1 egg white
* 1/3 cup white granulated sugar
* 1/3 cup dark-brown sugar, packed
* 2 Tbs vanilla extract
* 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
* 1 tsp salt
It’s a treat to make these sugar-crusted nuts: They infuse your home with the scents of cinnamon and sugar. Experiment with other nuts — such as pecans — or combine cooled nuts with dried cranberries or toasted coconut. Arrange in small tins for gifts.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread almonds in a single layer in baking pan. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, until lightly toasted. Remove from oven and cool completely, about 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees.
2. Generously grease 2 baking pans. In a large bowl, whisk egg white until foamy. Whisk in sugars, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in almonds; toss until well coated. Divide nuts between pans, spreading them out in a single layer.
3. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, stir, and separate almonds that are stuck together. (Nuts will be very sticky now but will become crisp as they cool.) Return to oven and bake another 10 to 12 minutes, until nuts are a pale golden brown and appear dry. Remove from oven and let sit for 3 to 5 minutes.
4. When nuts begin to harden, quickly loosen them from the pan with a metal spatula and spread out on waxed paper to finish cooling. Separate into individual pieces or small clusters. Store in an airtight container up to 1 week.