Prep time: 10 Minutes
Cook time: 16 Minutes
Serves: 8 “Boats”
4 strips turkey bacon
4 medium-large russet potatoes, scrubbed, baked, then cooled slightly
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup broccoli florets, fresh or frozen
Freshly ground black pepper, optional
1/3 cup ranch dressing for dipping, optional
Crumble the cooled slices of turkey bacon; scoop out potatoes; sprinkle cheese mixture and freshly ground black pepper over potato skins.
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil.
2. Fry turkey bacon over medium-low heat in a nonstick skillet until just crispy. Let cool, then crumble and set aside.
3. Cut baked potatoes in half lengthwise. Scoop out all but 1/4 inch of potato. (Use this for mashed potatoes the next night.)
4. Brush potato skins, inside and out, lightly with canola oil and set them on prepared cookie sheet, skin side down. Bake for about 10 minutes, until lightly browned.
5. Add the cheese, crumbled bacon, and broccoli (if using fresh broccoli, steam it or microwave it in a little water first) to a small bowl and blend with a fork. Sprinkle the potato skins evenly with the cheese mixture. Top with freshly ground pepper, if desired.
6. Bake again until the cheese is bubbly, about 6 minutes. Serve warm with ranch dressing for dipping, if desired.
PER SERVING (1 “boat”): 158 calories, 4 g fat (1.9 saturated), 146 mg sodium, 14 mg cholesterol. A good source of vitamin C.