Add cooked shrimp to make this easy dish more traditional
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
* 2 Tbs olive oil
* 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
* 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
* 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
* 1 cup uncooked white rice (not instant)
* 1 tsp dried oregano
* 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
* 1/8 tsp ground turmeric
* 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
* 1 red bell pepper, seeded, cored, and cut into small, thin strips
* 1 cup frozen peas
* 2 cups diced cooked chicken
1. In a large pan, heat oil for 30 seconds over medium heat. Add onion and cook 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 more minute. Stir in broth, rice, oregano, salt, and turmeric.
2. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes.
3. Stir in tomatoes, pepper strips, and peas. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add chicken and cook for 1 more minute, or until paella is hot.
How kids can help Measure ingredients.
Per serving: 294 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated), 599 mg sodium, 35 mg cholesterol