Kids can help by sprinkling the cheese over the pie shell
Prep: 15 minutes
Bake: 30 to 35 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 (9-inch) refrigerated pie crust
- 5 slices bacon
- 1/2 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheese of your choice
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- Pinch black pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg, optional
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Press crust into a 9-inch pie dish, and bake 5 minutes. Remove, and reduce heat to 375°F.
- In a small skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove from skillet and set aside on paper towels to drain. Discard all but 1 Tbs of drippings. Sauté onion in drippings for about 2 minutes; remove pan from heat. Crumble the cooled bacon and set aside.
- Sprinkle half of the cheese over the bottom of the pie shell. Evenly distribute bacon and onion over the cheese.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs, milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg, if desired. Pour mixture over bacon and onion. Sprinkle with remaining cheese, and bake 30 to 35 minutes, until golden brown.
How kids can help: Sprinkle cheese over pie shell.
Per serving: 336 calories, 23 g fat (10 g saturated), 336 mg sodium, 141 mg cholesterol